Sweet Potato & Chickpea Patties
These vegetarian, nut free patties are a great meal that can be paired with a salad, or can be made into a great veggie burger for every member of the family to enjoy. Allergy modifications and nutrition information is available below .
|Ingredients||6 serves||25 serves||60 serves|
|Sweet potato (orange)||1 medium (400g)||3 medium (1.2kg)||10 medium (4kg)|
|Chickpeas (canned)||1 x 400g can||4 x 400g cans||10 x 400g cans|
|Lemon juice||2 teaspoons||2 tablespoons||100mL|
|Red onion (finely chopped)||¼ small||1 small||4 small|
|Breadcrumbs||½ cup||2 cups||5 cups|
|Olive or canola oil spray||as required||as required||as required|
|Turkish bread||½ large loaf (250g)||2 large loaves (1kg)||5 large loaves (2.5kg)|
|Lettuce (sliced)||3 leaves||½ medium head||1 medium head|
|Tomato (sliced)||1 medium||4 medium||10 medium|
|Avocado (sliced)||1 small||1 medium||4 medium|
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Peel and chop sweet potato into small pieces and steam for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Mash sweet potato and chickpeas with lemon juice until smooth. Place in fridge to cool for 30 minutes.
- Combine sweet potato and chickpeas with onion, breadcrumbs and egg.
- Take small handfuls of mixture and roll into balls. Flatten gently to form patties.
- Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place patties on the lined tray.
- Spray patties lightly with olive oil spray.
- Bake in oven, turning once, for 30 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with Turkish bread, lettuce, tomato and avocado.
Each serve provides
- ½ children’s serve of meat/alternatives1 (chickpeas and egg)
- 1–1 ½ children’s serves of vegetables2
- 1 children’s serve of grains3 (bread)
- A good source of vitamin C
- A source of iron
1One children’s serve of lean meat, poultry, fish or alternatives is equal to half a serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
2One children’s serve of vegetables is equal to one serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
3One children’s serve of (grain) cereal foods is equal to one serve in the Australian Dietary Guidelines.
- For an egg free option replace each egg with 1 teaspoon of egg replacer and 2 tablespoons of water.
- For a gluten/wheat free option replace breadcrumbs with a similar quantity of rice crumbs or cooked rice and serve with gluten free bread/wraps.
- For a soy free option use soy free bread crumbs and bread.
- For a milk protein free and lactose free option, ensure that the breadcrumbs and Turkish bread used do not contain milk products.
The nutritional information provided is based on the exact ingredients and method as shown. Any variation/s to the ingredients or method may alter the nutritional outcome.
Source: Recipe adapted by the Australian Healthy Eating Advisory Service from Get Up and Grow: Cooking for Children with permission of the Australian Government.